Barbara J. Palmer
Contact Barbara J. Palmer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Palmer has 30+ years of experience as a trial lawyer and has earned a reputation for effective and aggressive representation of clients. She regularly appears before the Circuit Court, the Court of Special Appeals, and the Court of Appeals. She also handles cases the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and has argued before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ms. Palmer actively engages in land use law, including zoning, subdivision, development, permitting, and critical area issues. She has handled variances, special exceptions, and re-zoning cases before the Administrative Hearing Officer and the Board of Appeals.
Ms. Palmer handles issues pertaining to real estate matters, real estate contracts, general contractual matters, land transfer issues, landlord/tenant disputes and business disputes.
- Civil Litigation and Appeals, primarily focusing on real property disputes
- Land Use, including zoning, subdivision, development, permitting, and environmental issues before County agencies; the presentation of variances, special exceptions, and re-zonings in administrative proceedings.
- Real Estate, Landlord Tenant, Property Rights and Business Litigation
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U. S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- J.D., 1984, University of Maryland School of Law
- B.S., 1981, Biology, Loyola College
- Of Counsel, Hyatt & Weber, P.A., August 2019-Present
- Of Counsel, Liff, Walsh & Simmons, LLC, August 2018-July 2019
- Blumenthal, Delavan, Powers & Palmer, P.A., July, 2014 to August 2018
- Of Counsel, Blumenthal, Delavan & Williams, P.A., May, 1996 to July, 2014
- Associate, Krause & Ferris, P.A., 1996 to 2002
- Associate, Brassel and Baldwin, P.A., 1987 to 1993
- Associate, Franch & Jarashow. P.A., 1984 to 1987
- Law Clerk, Office of the Attorney General, Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, Environmental Task Force, 1982 to 1983
- Maryland State Bar Association, 1984 to the present
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association, 1984 to the present
Awards and Distinctions
- Martindale-Hubble BV Distinguished rating by peers for legal ability and ethical standards
- Selected by Krause & Ferris, P.A. to litigate tort, real property, and contract personnel actions in state and federal courts, including appellate courts
- Selected by Brassel and Baldwin, P.A. to handle civil litigation, including circuit court cases, administrative hearings, and appeals to the Court of Special Appeals and Court of Appeals, and real estate matters, including drafting contracts and obtaining governmental approvals of development projects
- Selected by Goldsborough, Franch & Collette, P.A and its successor firm to handle civil and minor criminal litigation, including tort, contract, malpractice, domestic, bankruptcy, and workers compensation matters in the Circuit Court, District Court, Court of Special Appeals, and Court of Appeals
Ms. Palmer has practiced in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels. Recent and significant reported appellate opinions include:
- Clickner v. Magothy River Ass’n, 424 Md. 253, 35 A.3d 464 (2012), successfully represented the owner of an island against members of the public who claimed a right to use the beach, with the highest appellate court holding that the public had no such right.
- Annapolis Mkt. Place, LLC v. Parker, 369 Md. 689, 802 A.2d 1029 (2002) successfully represented a community group opposed to the rezoning of neighboring property for a more intensive use.
- Piquette v. Stevens, 128 Md. App. 590, 739 A.2d 950 (1999) successfully overturned the granting of a judgment notwithstanding the verdict in a personal injury action
- Kessler v. Equity Mgmt., Inc. 82 Md. App.577, 572 A.2d 1144 (1990) represented an employer in the termination of an at-will employee
Why Choose Hyatt & Weber?
- Full-Service Law Firm
- Over 35 Years of Experience
- No Case is Too Small or Too Large
- Experience in a Wide Variety of Practice Areas
- Commitment to Work Closely with Every Client
- We Deliver Sound Counsel & Creative Solutions